August rewind


I’ll start with the parts where I have actually done something good, meaning the books I actually finished.

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
I loved it. It feels like I shouldn’t cause it sounds like a sort of stupid idea, but I loved it so much. I like the Dracula story, I like Jack the Ripper (the story, I’m not condoning the murder and mutilation of prostitutes) and I liked combining them. For a while I was slightly confused by the number of point of views, but as they came together I felt like it was easier to follow. I like Beauregard, and Genevieve, they’re interesting characters. I liked that their relationship wasn’t a big thing, it was just sort of there. I liked that Dracula was just off in the background, not out front being all creepy. He’s spookier when he’s in the shadows. So, obviously I give this book big thumbs up. Well done.



 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
I finished it. Yey. I love Harry Potter, it’s one of my favorite book series, but I have realized that as I grow older and more cynical, and discuss the books with people it becomes ever more jarring to read Harry. I feel like the House elves things bugs me more and more, but I try not to focus on it. It’s a spectacular story, and Harry is awesome. I like that Harry is flawed. He is the hero, and even though he’s brave and clever he’s also hot-headed and he does the wrong things every now and then, but he’s a good friend and he tries to fix Ron and Hermione. I love how Ron and Hermione’s romantic relationship sort of creeps up on them, especially Ron. It’s sort of obvious, but not completely and I like that. Thumbs up dudes.

Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan
Okay, so I read Immortal Beloved, and I was sort of annoyed that I liked it. I don’t know why. There was no reason I shouldn’t. I think I thought I shouldn’t like it. And I did. Lady is brilliant. So I then read Darkness Falls, which is the sequel, or number two in the series or whatever. I was still sort of unsure. I still thought I wouldn’t like it, I can’t help it. I feel like Caitlin Tiernan is tricking me somehow. It was fun. I liked the story. I like Nas and Reyn, the names are annoying the hell out of me, but who cares? She grows up more, she learns and she’s accepting, and she makes an effort. Tiernan doesn’t tie up all loose ends, but I’m sure it’ll work out. Thumbs up.



Stasia by Peter Strassegger
So, cause I’m a weirdo I decided to read an extra book instead of reading one of the books I was supposed to be reading, cause moron. My sister’s boyfriend’s brother just published a book. And because he wanted people to come I went with my sister to the launch thing, bought the book and got it signed, fun! I also read the book. It’s in Norwegian, so sort of limited audience, but it’s fucking fantastic anyway. It’s about a boy and girl, Armin and Stasia, who are nine and fifteen. Their family is sort of a band of moving entrepreneurs. They move around building houses essentially. The family goes to Germany and things sort of fall apart. Obviously the constant travelling isn’t conducive to a stable family life, and it’s weird. The book is confusing, in a good way; it’s told from a nine-year-old’s perspective so it’s disjointed and weird. You feel like stuff is going on in the background, but because Armin doesn’t understand it you don’t really get it either. I really liked it. Thumbs all the way up.

Alright, on to the things that didn’t go as well:

I didn’t plan on finishing The Dance of Dragons, cause it’s huge, but I have read some. I love it so much.

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
It feels like I’ll never finish. At least I’ve started now. I like the book, I love the story, why am I not finishing it? It’s cause I’ve got some sort of ADD or something. I don’t, I’m just weird. I have started and I like it, and when I read it I read quite a lot. So I just need to stop being a baby and read it, cause Pullman is awesome, Lyra is badass and I can’t wait to finish it.






Persuasion by Jane Austen
Alright so I started it and I like it a lot. I was a bit apprehensive, because some the other classics I’ve read have sort of disappointed me. I think I chose bad books to start with, because I’m more cynical than I’d like to think. I started with Wuthering Heights and I just found them annoying. “It’s so romantic.” No, they’re whiny and annoying. Then I read Romeo and Juliet: Oh. My. God. I know it’s supposed to be like the biggest love story or something, but they are such crybabies I just got fed up with them. I love Persuasion, it warms my cynical heart; they’re mad at each other and love is hard and weird and I like the writing. Austen is awesome. I really like it and I want to finish, so I will. I say I will, so I will. Right?