November rewind


This was a good month for me. I made some excellent reading choices, so kudos to me.
  
Anna Dressed in Blood – Kendare Blake
Anna Dressed in Blood was fracking awesome. How do you spell frack? Is it Frak? I checked Wikipedia and it didn’t help. I’m going to use frack, or frak. I don’t know, we’ll figure it out as we go. It was fracking awesome. It reminded me a lot of old Supernatural (as in the TV show with Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki). Old Supernatural, like season 1 to 3. After season 3 it goes a bit wonky. It went a bit Buffy, but it thought it was still Supernatural. Buffy always knew it was a weird show, Supernatural thinks it’s still like legitimate TV with normal stuff in it, but it went all Buffy. And rant over. Anna Dressed in Blood was like good Supernatural, it was old urban legends, it was hunter (Cas) with a harsh life and he went and was all awesome. The love story wasn’t forced. And Anna is so Goddamn cool I want to hang out with her. And I want more. I’m weird now. Big thumbs up, all of them.
 
The Perks of Being a Wallflower – Stephen Chbosky
First of all, something I need to say, how do you say his name and what the frack up with his name? You can’t spell like that. And I’m done. Yeah. I loved this book. Charlie is a very interesting character, although he infuriated me. I realize he is a bit damaged and he has stuff he struggles with, but sometimes I wanted to grab him and shake him. I wanted to tell him to stop being so passive. I just wanted him to come out of his little sad shell. I loved the book, I thought it was beautiful, I thought Chbosky tackled some really tough issues in a very nice way. I like him. And I loved this book. Thumbs up.


Will Grayson – Will Grayson – John Green and David Levithan
I think that this is my second favorite John Green book. I liked the humor and I liked the characters. I love that they’re freaking flawed. I love that authors write characters that make you feel things and who seem believable. I wanted to yell at all the main characters, Will, OWG and Tiny. I like that Tiny and Will are friends purely by chance and they don’t really know how to be friends with each other. They don’t really know that they’re actually friends it seems and they don’t know how they are supposed to be friends. I loved watching them work that out. I also liked OWG (Other Will Grayson), I’ll just call him OWG. Again I wanted to shake him and yell at him. He has issues obviously, and it annoyed me that he couldn’t imagine that someone would love him. Obviously there are reasons for this, but at some point I wanted him to take a leap of faith and just imagine someone could actually love him and want him and want to be with him. This only made me like the book though, because they made me want to watch them grow and develop and I loved them for being normal kids and weird kids and likely kids.


Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister – Gregory Maguire
So, okay, I loved Wicked. I liked his writing there. I liked the writing here too. I just sort of wanted there to be a little magic. It was a sort of nice story though, and sort of bizarrely believable. Who wouldn’t believe in an insane woman with somewhat ugly kids who manages to for lack of a better word “charm” a very rich guy with the most beautiful child in the world? Anyway. It’s a retelling of Cinderella and it’s set in 17th century Holland, and it’s nice. I liked it, it wasn’t the most awesome thing ever, but it was okay. It was fine.
So thumbs up, sort of to the side, cause it was just, okay. It wasn’t bad, just okay.


The Hobbit – J. R. R. Tolkien
The Hobbit is a book that I read when I was little, first my mother read it to my sister and me when I was very little. I read it again when I got a bit older. I reread it again now because I wanted to read it before the movie comes out. I loved it again. It’s a children’s book I guess, but it was a lot of fun. There’s adventure, and it’s less gloomy than the Lord of the Rings. The dwarves are a lot of fun, the wolves are exciting as hell. I love Beorn, and I like Bilbo growing so much during the book. I am way too excited for this movie, so that’ll be fun. Thumbs up, so many.




Deathless – Catherynne M. Valente
So this book made me so happy. I want to read everything there is about Russia and Russian folklore now. It’s about Koschei the Deathless, the tsar of Life, and the girl who falls in love with him, Marya Morevna. She comes with him to his land and they become man and wife and it was so awesome. Catherynne M. Valente writes so beautifully and the characters are really interesting. I liked how Marya grew up from this bookish weirdo to a fierce woman who was badass enough to marry the tsar of Life, and also how she was tough and strong enough to go on without him if she had to. I liked the way the story was built up. She made these little stories here and there that worked with the main story. Sometimes I was slightly confused as to how the story would fit together, but I never doubted her, she’s awesome. All the thumbs up and toes too, if that helps.