December rewind


A monster calls by Patrick Ness
So, I thought this book was kind of beautiful. It’s about Conor, who is 13 years old and lives with his mother. His mother is severely ill and Conor has the same nightmare every night. Then a monster comes and tells Conor different stories. The monster also tells Conor that when he is done telling stories Conor will tell his own story, and it has to be the truth. It was a beautiful story. I think that Conor’s reaction was very believable. And I liked the stories the monster told. I think it’s meant for younger kids, and I think they would like it.




The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells
So, the father of Sci-Fi. FUN! It was a whole lot of fun. The book is about a man named Pendrick who is shipwrecked and happens upon an island in the middle of the ocean. The Island is inhabited by Doctor Moreau and his co-worker Montgomery. They are working on some very creepy projects. The island is full of their very disturbing people. It turns out these people are not actually people, but they are animals that Moreau and Montgomery have been trying to turn into humans. It was really creepy and it’s still interesting, how long can and should science go? I loved it. More Wells please.

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
I really liked it. The book is about a girl named Seraphina who is a royal court musician. She lives in a world where humans and dragons both exist and they have a sort of volatile peace pact. The dragons can take human form and pretty much pass as humans. Seraphina lives at court and is pushed into this mystery when the royal prince is murdered in a very draconian fashion. There is conspiracy and fun. The world Hartman has created is brilliant, although I didn’t notice there was a glossary in the back until after I’d finished the entire book, and that’s stupid. I liked it, but I had heard hype, and I think I’d just sort of thought it would be sensational. It was fine, I really liked it and I want to read the next one.

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
So, I really liked Kushiel’s Legacy and that. And I liked this one, it’s not her best, but it was a lot of fun. It is about a girl named Loup, who is the daughter of a regular human woman and a genetically modified man. Loup has certain different qualities, she’s strong, fast and tough. She lives in an outpost next to a US army base where people have pretty much no rights. Loup’s mother dies and Loup is sent to live with a bunch of misfit orphans. Loup takes up the mantle as the outpost’s patron saint Santa Olivia and Loup and her friends use Loup’s abilities to avenge the town’s people. 



The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore
I thought I’d read a Christmas book this year. This one is about a town in California and the different people that live there. A young boy sees a woman kill Santa Clause and prays to God to bring Santa back to life. An angel named Raziel hears the prayer and comes to Pine Cove to make a miracle happen. Sadly Raziel is the most inept angel in all of Heaven and accidentally he makes the town’s dead into zombies. Therefore madness ensues. Throw in a schizophrenic cult-movie actress, a police pothead, a DEA-agent with a pet fruit bat and you basically have one of the most hilarious Christmas books ever. I haven’t read many, but this one was a lot of fun.