Top Ten Favourite Characters in Fantasy


Another Top Ten Tuesday from the Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is your top ten favourite characters from whatever genre you choose. I chose Fantasy, because I really love fantasy. They aren't necessarily in order, but yes. Here they are. 

1. Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

Matrim Cauthon was my favourite in the beginning, because he was sort of happy-go-lucky, and he was plucky. Looking back I also think he’s one of the more realistic characters. I realize he’s a character in a Fantasy novel and he has the memories of dead generals in his head and he wins everything. The thing about Mat is that his behavior and his reactions seem sort of believable and logical. He doesn’t want to be a big leader and tries to run away. And he is a bit whiny in the middle, but it is justified. He is a good leader though. He always comes through for his friends and he stays true. He always does his duty even if he doesn’t want to. 



2. Phèdre nó Delaunay from Kushiel’s Legacy
 
Phedre is a prostitute-geisha-courtesan who lives basically as a slave to a very rich man. I like Phedre because I think people underestimate her. She’s obviously clever. She learns just about every language there is, she can pretty much read people like open books. And she saves her country again and again. I think she’s a badass who is willing to go the extra mile to save her people.





3. Melisande Shahrizai from Kushiel’s Legacy

I realize that it is a bit weird to also like the biggest traitor from the same series. Melisande is also a badass who is willing to do anything to get her way. She is tough, she is cold and she is so cool. I realize that she is a traitor who ruins her country and she sells off people, has people killed and all that, but I just really, really like her. She has redeeming qualities, she loves her son, and she tries to help him and I respect her for that.






4. Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter
 
It’s Ginny. Come on. Ginny is awesome. Ginny is a badass lady. I like that during the book series Rowling just sort of hints during the entire series that she is perfect for Harry. I like that she stands up to Harry. I like that she is tough, I like that she’s still sad and still cries. She’s awesome.





5. Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter

Luna is basically my favorite Harry Potter character, of all time. Luna is an amazing person, because she goes her own way. She is a bit naïve, but she is true to herself. She is cool, she makes her own ridiculous clothes and stuff. She is amazing. She doesn’t crumble to pressure. She is a good friend, she also stands up to her friends if they need it. She is a very cool person and I want to be her friend. She’s so weird and I love her.




6. Sansa Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire

It doesn’t seem like people like Sansa, and whatever, but I really like her. She starts out as a very unlikeable girl. She believes in Joffrey no matter what and she is mean to her sister, but Sansa is the one character that grows the most. She learns to become this badass young lady. She is very dignified and strong, and I really like her. She thinks she has lost her entire family and she just keeps going and tries to carve out her own place in the world. When there’s a war and Cercei goes fucking mental Sansa holds the women together.



7. Nastasya from Immortal beloved

Nas is really cool. She is quite insufferable in the beginning, but she’s snarky and she’s fun. She is tough as hell and she tries very hard to become a better person. I can’t believe I still haven’t read the last book, but I will. Nas is tough and a bit bitchy, but I think she is generally a good person and she grows a lot in the novels. I like that she is a believable, apart from the whole immortal thing. I think that if you’d lived for 900+ years you would be jaded and sad and angry and it’s very believable. And she is a snarky bitch and she says the things you sort of want to say.


8. A-through-L from The Girl who circumnavigated fairyland in a ship of her own making

Now, who doesn’t love a wyvern who thinks he’s half library? If someone told me he thought his dad was a library and he knows everything about things starting with the letters A to L he would be my best friend. And should probably be sectioned. Anyway. He is a wyverary. That is freaking awesome. Also he is a kind wyverary. He is a good friend to September and he always has a good story to tell.


9. Lyra Belacqua from the Golden Compass

I like her mostly when Will’s not around her. In the first book Lyra is brilliant, she is badass, and she is cool and tough. And then Will comes around and Pullman turns her into a whiny, girly wanker. When she isn’t around him she is really cool and badass and she survives a world that isn’t hers. She is willing to sacrifice pretty much everything to save her friends. She leaved Pan alone on a beach and she confronts her Death to help her friends, Lyra is amazing. Phillip Pullman is a shit head. I liked her so much, and then he went and ruined her. Wanker.


10. Chandresh Christophe Lefevre from the Night Circus

Chandresh is amazeballs. I considered leaving it there, but yes. Chandresh is basically the guy who makes the circus. He is influenced by Celia’s dad and Marco’s trainer, whose name escapes me, but Chandresh makes the first tents, he suggests the concepts and he brings people together, he is flamboyant and weird and temperamental and I really, really like him. I don’t know what it is. I think I just really want to go to one of his parties. Also, his name is outstanding.