Character Connection: Luna Lovegood



This is a meme by the Introverted Reader and it sounds like a lot of fun. Technically you're supposed to do it on Thursdays, but I forgot, so I'll do it now. It’s basically you describing why you love or hate your favorite characters, which is not impossible, I hate Draco Malfoy, with a burning passion, he’s still amazing. This is not about that delightful little asshole though, this is about another Harry Potter character, specifically my favorite Harry Potter character, Miss Luna Lovegood.


Who is she?
Luna Lovegood is introduced in the fifth Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. Although her family is referred to in the fourth book, when Harry, the Weasleys and Hermione meet the Diggorys to go to the Quidditch world cup. I might have read the books too many times. Anyway, we meet Luna properly in the fifth book when Harry, Ginny and Neville sit with her on the train.

And why do I love her?
Luna is possibly the weirdest person in the entire Potter universe. Obviously they’re all weird, because they’re witches and wizards, but Luna sticks out like a sore thumb even there. She is blond, she’s got sort of bulgy eyes and she believes in crazy things. If she’d been a muggle she’d probably believed in horoscopes and crystals, no offence. One of the reasons I love her is that she is constantly weird, she keeps saying completely inappropriate things, she says weird things, and she has weird opinions. She is also a strong character, in that she refuses to step away from these beliefs just because people thinks she’s weird. She stands up for what she believes in and she goes for it. She is tough and she is so kind it sort of makes me ache. She is always ready to help people, she is the only one who can speak to Harry about Sirius, when he doesn’t know how to deal. Luna also has this amazing faith in people. She seems to think that no one can do wrong, she doesn’t hate the people that bully her, which would obviously be an easy solution.

I think you’re supposed to feel sorry for her, because she is obviously sort of a sad character in that she doesn’t really have friends. I do feel for her, but there is also such a hopeful and kind character that I have to love her, and oh my God she’s hilarious. She might not try to, but she is so deadpan and so wonderful. She comments on a Quidditch match, and how awesome is that? A lot awesome I’ll tell you for nothing. 

Anyway, I love Luna Lovegood. She's beautiful and wonderful, and Evanna Lynch is a genius Luna. She is so amazing as Luna.