Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013


It’s Wednesday, because I am slow as hell. I wrote this yesterday, but I’s slow. This week’s list is new-to-me authors I read in 2013. Meaning authors I read for the first time in 2013. And I loved 2013, I read some good books, some good authors. The Top Ten Tuesday meme is hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. So let us dive in.

Robert Jackson Bennett
I read the Troupe this year, and it is glorious. It was funny, Bennett is a magician of words. He is funny, he’s clever, the words are beautiful, the order he puts them in is beautiful, I sound like an idiot. Anyway. I need more of his books.

Kurt Vonnegut
Why haven’t I read Vonnegut before? He was a genius, he’s aaah. I read two of his books this year, Slaughterhouse-Five and Hocus Pocus, and I’ll read more next year, I can promise y’all that. I’m not southern, or American. Vonnegut is amazing, I never expected him to be so hilarious, and I don’t know why. He is though, he’s hilarious. And the writing is all over the place and cool, oh Gosh. I’m babbling.

Iain Banks
I read the Wasp Factory, because my English teacher suggested we read a bunch of things to see how people write and read English, and yeah, one of the books were the Wasp Factory, and it was disgusting. It was so gross and horrible. And I want more. Which is why I’m weird.

Christopher Healey
I read both of his League of Princes books that have come out. And they are amazing. They’re so funny. I can’t wait for the third one. It’ll be awesome. He’s funny, and I love fairy tales, and oh God it’s good.

Teri Terry
Teri Terry wrote Slated and Fractured, and they are just friggin’ awesome. Anyway. They are dystopian novels about a girl named Kyla who has been “slated” which means her memory has been wiped. Teri writes in a really interesting way. There’s so much nice layering, and the story and the world Kyla lives in is so great, I love her, looking forward to the end of the third book in the trilogy.

Margaret Atwood
Again, why did I not know about Margaret Atwood? Why didn’t someone tell me to read her? Erh mer geerd. Yeah. I read The Handmaid’s Tale, which is really interesting, and cool, and I want to read more. Yeah, you are a badass Margaret Atwood.

Laini Taylor
I have no words for how awesome Laini Taylor is. She is the queen of awesomeness. I read both the first books in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. I also gave the first one to my best friend, and she was so excited about it she texted me to tell me how much she loved it, because Laini Taylor is the biggest badassest of people. I’m making new words.

Kristin Cashore
Miss Cashore. I read the entire Graceling trilogy. Is it a trilogy when they are set at different times with different main characters for every book? I don’t know, there are three books, and they are set in the same world. They were really interesting, and I really liked it. There were problematic things, but there was awesomeness too. And yeah, I liked her.

Anne Ursu
Anne Ursu wrote a book based on the Snow Queen, named Breadcrumbs, that’s a bad sentence. It was just so beautiful. Hazel is amazing, she is so weird, and nerdy, and so like me I felt sometimes. She is funny, and she gets so excited about snow she stands outside in the snow for like a minute just to look at it. I want to read more Ursu, for sure.

Brenna Yovanoff
Oh Brenna, you wonderful weirdo. She wrote one of the creepiest books I read this year, the Replacement, about a changeling named Mackie. The writing is awesome and dark and the story is so cool and it’s awesome. Awesomeness. I want to read more of her stuff.