Top Ten Fantasy books


It’s still Tuesday, for a while. So I’m going to post this baby. Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. This week the prompt is Favorites in X genre, and I picked Fantasy, cause I’s predictable. And go.



American Gods by Neil Gaiman – because oh my God, Neil Gaiman is my American God. I realize he isn’t America, but he does live in America. It’s probably not the Gaiman book you should start with, because it’s big and it’s complicated and it’s a little odd. It’s about a man named Shadow (one of my favorite character names), who has just gotten out of prison, to find his wife died, while cheating on him. He starts working for a conman named Wednesday, and weirdness ensues.

Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey – It’s so beautiful and the language is so interesting, and the story is fascinating. It’s a story about a young woman who is a masochist, because she was made one by the Gods. She works as a sort of spy for a rich dude. It’s about politics and history, intrigue and it’s cool.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling – I don’t know why exactly, I just really like this book out of the Harry Potter books, so yes. I love Harry Potter. I grew up with Harry Potter, so it’s my youth. The Goblet of Fire is the fourth book, and it’s about the Triwizard tournament, more Voldemort, Cedric Diggory being all awesome, dragons, all good stuff. I think I like it mostly because when I read it back I realized how solid the books are, there are clues to the arc of the story through all of the books, and I love it. I love it. I love how Harry and Ron grow. I love how Hermione sort of grows. I like it.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – It’s so gorgeous oh my God. The story is about a young woman named Karou, who lives as an art student in Prague, but also has a life with monsters where she is a sort of courier for a man/monster named Brimstone, getting him teeth. One day her portal to this other world is closed and she can’t get back to her friends. She meets an angel, Akiva, who wants to murder her, but whom she seems to have a very strong relationship with. It is so friggin’ gorgeous, the prose is amazing, OH MY GOD.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – In the series of Inga likes circus-y books this one is first. So, anyway. This is about two magicians, Marco and Celia, who are in competition with each other. The competition is in the Night Circus, where they create tents with outstanding spectacles inside. The book is told from the perspective of people in the circus and followers of the circus and between the chapters there are descriptions of tents and it is just beautiful.

The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett – Book two in the I like circus-y books. This isn’t technically about a circus, but about a Vaudeville troupe that travels around the US in the 1920s. The book focuses on George Carole, a genius piano player and 16-year-old, who joins the Troupe to search for his father, who he thinks is the leader. The Troupe is exceedingly good and seems to be running from something big and dark, and it is amazing.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch – is absolutely outstanding. It’s about a crew of conmen in a medieval setting. They pretend to be simple thieves, but truthfully they run a crew doing long con. And they are delightful. They’re cavalier and snarky and clever and I love them. The books are well-written, the cons are cool and interesting, the story is fun. It’s so cool.

The Solitaire mystery by Jostein Gaarder – A Norwegian book to mix it up. It’s probably translated, because Jostein Garder. It’s perhaps a bit more philosophy, but also it’s about a deck of cards that comes to life so I say it works. It’s about a young boy named Hans Petter who goes on a drive with his dad, they drive from Norway to Switzerland, as far as I remember, it’s been a while since I read it. Anyway. He reads a book he finds inside a bun, and it seems to have some connection to his own family. It’s really cool.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman – I didn’t really get this book when I first read it, but it is really awesome. It’s about a very beautiful girl named Buttercup who falls in love with the stable boy Westley, but he rides off to become something so she agrees to marry the prince of the kingdom. She is then kidnapped. There are pirates, six-fingered men killing people, sons of killed men seeking revenge. People having amazing catchphrases like: My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die. It’s fucking amazing.


The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien – I feel like I’ve talked about this book a billion times, so I’m just going to say, it’s AMAZING. It’s Tolkien, okay? It’s awesome.