Graphic novel round up

So far this year I’ve read three graphic novels, and I didn’t really have a lot to say about them, so I thought I’d do reviews in one post for all three. So there.



Miss Marvel, volume 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson
Miss Marvel is about a young woman named Kamala Kahn. She becomes the new Miss Marvel when the old Miss Marvel is promoted to Captain Marvel. Kamala is a young Muslim girl from New Jersey and lives in a fairly strict family. Her parents want her to be a good Muslim girl and respectful. Kamala wants to be a super hero and she wants to be a modern girl.

I really liked it. It wasn’t as amazing as I thought it would be. People were very happy, they were bragging and all. I liked it, I thought the concept was cool, and I loved Kamala. I thought she was spunky and cool. I thought she was funny and tough. She has a lot of stuff against her, her parents are hard on her, and she’s trying to live up to being a good, respectful Muslim daughter and being a superhero at the same time.

Even though I wasn’t blown away I really want to read the rest of the series.

Locke and Key, volume 2: Head Games by Joe Hill
This is the second volume of Locke and Key, duh. I didn’t know how to start this apparently. Locke and Key is about the Locke children who have moved back to the old family mansion after their father is murdered. They keep finding keys that open weird things. In this one the youngest Locke kid, Bode, finds a key they can use to open their heads and take out or put stuff in, which isn’t at all creepy.

I loved it. It was amazing. The art is absolutely gorgeous and the story is great. I love the concept of the whole thing. They’re really creepy and dark, and Zach Wells, the ghost-demon-well-lady is really creepy. And I really liked the idea that Kinsey took out her fear and ability to cry. I didn’t like it because I think it’s a great idea, obviously, but I am excited to see how it turns out, how it affects her. And I’m excited to see how it will impact her other feelings, because obviously they’re meant to coexist, but it’ll be fun.

The Wicked and the divine, volume 1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen
This was my favorite so far I think. I loved Locke and Key, but I really loved this. It was amazing. It’s about a pantheon of gods who come back to earth every 90 years, and hang around for about three years and then disappear. They become some sort of star whenever they come back, and get the adulation they want because you know, they’re gods. It follows this young woman, Laura, who is a fan, like everyone else. When Luci (Lucifer) kills a couple of guys and lands herself in jail Laura tries to help her and get her out and she seems to sort of fall for her.

I really liked the art, it’s absolutely gorgeous. Luci was incredible. Her whole look was astounding and dramatic. The different characters were all so beautiful. I love anything that has to do with mythology and religion. And I love gods, I find them interesting. I think the Morrigan was fascinating. I especially like gods that I don’t necessarily know that much about. That sounds a bit insane, but some gods and mythologies get more press than others, so I haven’t heard about them. So that was cool. It wasn’t just the gods you hear about all the time, but some different ones too.


So this is the first of, I assume, many graphic novel round-ups. I was pleased with them, they were fun. Looking forward to more. Happy times.