March 18th - Bookish Habits

Been a while huh? I’m in a minor slump. It’s fine. It’ll be okay. I’ll get over it. So this is the Top 5 Wednesday for this week. And this week’s topic is bookish habits. Top 5 Wednesday is a meme created by GingerReadsLainey.

I hate dust jackets
It’s not really a habit, but I tend to take them off and leave them somewhere else, and then put it back on when I finish and put the book on my shelf. Why do I do this? Because dust jackets were invented by Satan. I keep fiddling with them and shoving them up and down, and they drive me crazy.  So I just take them off.

I bring books everywhere
I read everywhere, when I travel, when I wait for stuff, when I make dinner. It’s insane. I get frustrated when I don’t have anything to do, so if I’m on a bus or a train or something and don’t have a book, I go a bit nutty. So even though I am pretty much positive I will not have any chance to read I still bring a book. And if I’m going on holiday I will bring a lot of books, because you know, I might finish the book, so I need more. I always bring more books than I would ever need, because I don’t know what I’ll be in the mood for.

I binge watch BookTube videos
I am subscribed to a lot, a lot, of BookTube channels. I’m not going to count them, because it’ll be embarrassing, but there are a lot. I watch them a lot, to the detriment of my reading sometimes, which is insane. But I really love talking about books, and I never really had that growing up. I mean I had my mother, but not my peers, because I was always a more voracious reader than the kids I went to school with. And if I wasn’t I had no idea about the others, because we didn’t talk about it. So it feels a bit like I now have people to talk about books with. I do have them in real life too, I’m not as sad as I sound. But I love BookTube, a lot. It’s creepy.

I make A LOT of excel sheets
I have a strange desire to quantify my life. I don’t know where it comes from. It’s a bit weird actually. And anyway. So I make excel sheets. What I read, how many books a month, how many pages, author’s gender, the genre, all kinds of things. I don’t know why I do this, but for some reason I find it very satisfying. Because I do it continuously, so when I finish a book I get to color it with a funky color. I’m a child. An obsessive, nerdy child.

I keep rearranging my book shelves
In an attempt to ruin my librarian-reputation I don’t really arrange my books in any way that makes sense. I don’t really do it alphabetically, or by color, or any logic. Right now it’s arranged by read and not read. One bookcase is read books and one is unread books. Whenever I get bored of the system I just change it around, with no more system really. I really like the idea of finding the ultimate system. Which will hopefully make me stop acting like a nutty person.

So these are my five bookish habits. Do you have any weird bookish habits.