April rewind

I’m really slow, and lazy. But here are the books I read in April. Whoo. Yeah. I didn’t read as much as I was planning to, but hey, let’s go.

The Way of Kings, part 1 by Brandon Sanderson
It’s so good. It’s an absolutely wonderful, outstanding piece of fantasy fiction. Oh my God. So I don’t know exactly how to review this, because it’s so massive and so complex, and complicated and just so confusing. It’s definitely not where I would start if you’re not used to fantasy. The book focuses mainly on three people; Kaladin, a former surgeon’s apprentice and soldier turned slave, Shallan, a lady looking for a way to save her House, and Dalinar, a Highprince fighting a pointless war and trying to come to terms with how his views are changing. The world building is incredible. It is incredible. Sanderson explains nothing, and expects you to be able to follow along. And I’m glad I’d read his other works so I could sort of follow along. I had no clue what anything was for a long time. I’m still not sure how the magic system works, I’m not sure why they’ve decided on their weird way to rule. I’m massively impressed with the religions and the culture, and the characters. It’s so goddamn good. Can I have Words of Radiance now? I don’t know how I’ll do like a proper review, but I’ll try.

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan
This was fun. It wasn’t fantastic, it was just good, but that’s fine, I dug it. It was a good time. It’s about a young woman named Isabella Trent who wants to study the biology of dragons. She is in a world where women are supposed to get married, have kids and be pretty, feminine, and do feminine arts, like sewing and drawing and whatever. So Isabella is sort of trapped by her gender, but through a kind husband and some clever machinations she gets to go on an expedition to study dragons. And it’s fun. The writing is very beautiful, and the illustrations are absolutely beautiful. And the dragons are just gorgeous, wonderful creatures. And I’m excited to read the other two books. 

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
This was also fine. It didn’t blow my mind. It didn’t impress me very much. It was fine, it was fun. I liked the main characters, he was interesting, although the writer did something that annoyed me and referred to him by his last name, which annoyed me more than it should have, but I couldn’t get over it. I also thought it was more hard core sci-fi, but in truth it was more court room drama. And that was fine, I guess. It just wasn’t what I expected. It was an interesting look on how we see humanity and sentience. Which was fun. I wrote a review, which is more coherent, I think. Although knowing me, probably not.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I finally finished this, yeah. Go me. I don’t know why it took me so long, because I really loved it. I thought it was fascinating, and interesting. It’s about this young couple, Ifemelu and Obinze, who live in Nigeria. They are sort of soulmates, I guess. And they decide that they will at some point go to America, and study, and be together forever. Then Ifemelu goes to the States, and Obinze is meant to follow, but then 9/11 happens and it’s impossible for Obinze to get into the States. And the book tells the story of the two of them going through their lives in the US and Nigeria. It was an interesting look at race and race relations. It was interesting to see how differently people of color experienced America based on where they were from. To Ifemelu America and race is obviously a very different experience than it is for African Americans who have all this history of slavery and segregation in their backbones. So yeah. That was confusing. I wrote a review, it might be more coherent.

Saga, volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan
I don’t know why it took me so goddamn long to read this. I just had it lying around. But I finally finished it. I don’t know what to say. It’s the fourth volume in a series, so it’s easy to get into spoiler territory. It’s about a world and a moon at war, and the two main characters are from opposing sides and they’re married and have a kid together. And now they’re on the run. I love the art. I loved how the story moved along. I was frustrated with both main characters, mostly with Alana, jeesh lady, get it together. But it was amazing. Looking forward to volume 5, because I read the trades, not the single issues.
 
Locke and Key, volume 3 by Joe Hill

I finally got this from my comic book store, and it was amazing. It’s the story about the Locke kids, who have moved to the old mansion Keyhouse after their father was murdered. In the mansion they find keys that lead to weird places. In the third volume some of the set ups from previous volumes start coming to a head, like Kinsey’s slightly fucked up choices, and Mrs. Locke’s inability to deal with her husband’s death. It’s creepy, and dark, and horrifying, and it makes me want to cry. Tyler, Bode and Kinsey’s pain is so prevalent, and it’s so sad, and I feel so bad for them. It’s so good.