Books in June

These are the books I will be reading in June. It’s a lot of different stuff, so that’s fun.

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
So I feel like I bought this because of Mercy over at MercysBookishMusings, which is fine. I’m pleased with basing my decisions on her book choices. She has great taste. This is what grown-ups do. It’s what they should do. Am I rambling? Always. Anyways. It’s about a guy named Frey, who is a captain, of the Ketty Jay, and he’s the leader of a band of pirate-ish people. I love pirates, a lot. It’s weird how much I love pirates. Not real pirates, romanticized pirates. I’ve mentioned this before, I’ll try to be less weird. They go on a mission to rob this space ship, a cargo freighter, and it goes wrong and suddenly Frey is public enemy number one. And it sounds like a lot of fun. Pirates and space ships and robbing things. Happy days.

The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker
Another thing I like is folklore and mythology. My friend was very excited about this, and so I have to read it. It’s about a golem (Chava), a creature made of clay, from Jewish folklore, and a djinni (Ahmed) from the Syrian desert. He is trapped in a tin flask and accidentally set free in New York. They both live in New York in the last year of the 19th Century and they meet by chance and become sort of unlikely friends.

A Girl is a Half-formedThing by Eimear McBride
This is a book about a young woman’s relationship with her brother and the trauma of his brain tumour. It’s sort of a stream of consciousness about her life. She’s sort of railing against a life that doesn’t make any sense. I don’t know much about it. It’s supposed to be good, but a bit weird. And it’s won a bunch of awards, and yeah, fun. This is a ramble-y post.
 
Burmese Days by George Orwell
This is George Orwell’s first novel, inspired by his jaunts with the Indian Imperial Police in Burma. It’s about British colonial rule, it’s about corruption, bigotry, all that fun stuff. It’s also about a white timber merchant named Flory, who befriends an Indian doctor. And there is stuff, and you know, fun.

Moby Dick by Henry Melville
This is a classic I’m sort of embarrassed I haven’t read yet. It’s about a guy called Ishmael who joins the crew of a ship led by Ahab, a crazy old captain waging a sort of war with a huge white whale. There’s a great sentence. Who wouldn’t want to go to sea with a crazy captain obsessed with a whale? Probably a lot of people, to be fair. It’s supposed to be amazing, there’s whale anatomy, and crazy old men, and gay sailors, I’ve heard, and I’m excited.

The BFG by Roald Dahl

This was one of my favourite books when I was a child. Because I was a Roald Dahl obsessed child. I’ve never read them in English, because you know, I’m Norwegian. So my sister gave me Matilda and the BFG for Christmas, so I could read them in English. This was a long, shitty intro to get to this point. Anyway. The BFG is about a young girl named Sophie who lives in an orphanage. She looks out the window one night and sees a tall, skinny giant putting a trumpet into a window and blowing some sort of goo inside. Roald Dahl was weird. Anyway. The giant sees her and he takes her with him. He is the BFG, the Big Friendly Giant, and he blows dreams into the bedrooms of children, because Dahl was a fucking genius. He lives near these other giants, huge, gross giants who eat people. It’s a magnificent book, I’m looking forward to read it again.