Books in May

I feel like I might have been a bit over ambitious lately, and combined that with some pretty spectacular laziness and bad character traits. Which sounds harsh. I just mean that when I’m behind I sometimes just stop trying. Which is a great trait. It always works out great (I wish there was a punctuation mark denoting sarcasm). So I thought I’d try to be less ambitious, putting a bit less pressure on myself, and then if I finish them all I can just add another book on top instead.

Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. I love him, and his floppy hair. That’s not the main reason I love him, although it’s like the number two reason. He’s a lovely writer. And he writes beautifully, and this is his latest collection of short stories. And I’m excited about it. I don’t really have a lot of thoughts on it, I’m just a bit excited about it really.

Innsirkling 2 by Carl Frode Tiller
I didn’t finish this in April, because of the aforementioned laziness. So I’m going to try again I guess. It’s about a man named David who has lost his memory, and his friends and family are encouraged to send letters about their lives with him. So the books are focused on three people from David’s life, their current lives and the letters they send to David. It’s very interesting, and the first book was absolutely beautiful. So I’ll try again.

The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi
This is a book I chose because I have to read a book written by someone when they were under 25 for a challenge I’m doing. So I picked this one. It’s about a girl called Jess who is half English, half Nigerian. She is eight, and imaginative and she struggles fitting in at school. Then she visits Nigeria for the first time and meets a little girl named TillyTilly, and this girl understands her. And then the visits by TillyTilly become more and more disturbing.

Shattered by Teri Terry
This is the final book in a YA dystopian trilogy about a girl named Kyla. In the first book she’s been slated, which means she’s basically been turned into a blank slate. She remembers nothing of her old life, and she lives with this new family that sort of adopted her. Slating is a form of punishment for teenagers who have done unspeakable criminal stuff. Obviously Kyla doesn’t know what she’s done, but assumes it’s awful. This is the conclusion, so I hope I’ll get the answers and I get to find out everything that’s happened. So that’ll be fun.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

This is a book of the month in one of my Goodreads groups. And I’ve wanted to read it for a while. It’s about this dude called Kell who travels through parallel Londons. There’s a Red London, Grey London, White London, and they’re all different. Kell is a sort of magician, a Traveler, who can travel among them. Kell is a smuggler, taking things from one London to another, and because of that he gets set up for treason. So that’s nice. It sounds cool, I’m excited. It’ll be fun.