Top 5 Wednesday - June 3 - Favourite Books of the Year So Far!

So I did no top five Wednesdays in May, yeah… sorry. But now it’s June, and here we go. Top Five Wednesday is a concept created by Gingerreadslainey. And this week’s topic is your top five favourite books of the year so far. So my list is composed of just books I’ve read this year, so not necessarily books that have been released this year, which will become very apparent with the first book on this list. Anyway, off we go.


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Yeah, it’s fucking amazing. Jane Eyre is the gothic masterpiece of Charlotte Brontë. It’s a fake autobiography about Jane Eyre, an orphan who grows up in a boarding school where she has a sort of auspicious beginning, being accused of lying and being a demon child. She does become a beloved part of the school. When she’s 18 she becomes a governess for a young girl named Adele, the ward of a man named Rochester. They fall in love, but can’t be married because Rochester has a wife he’s hidden in the attic. Jane Eyre refuses to be dependent on a man. She is dirt poor but she will not take Rochester’s money. She will not be his mistress, because it is a tenuous relationship and who is to say Rochester will not get tired of her. She’s amazing, bit pious, but she’s a badass, and the book is amazing.

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
This is the first book in Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive series. It is amazing. It is full of magic and wonder and amazingness. It’s just amazing. It’s not a good place to start with fantasy. It’s really complex and for a long time, the whole book technically, there are things you can’t understand, and you just need to roll with it. My best friend said that for Fantasy you should really move through stages, and start on somewhere simpler, and then move onto more complex stuff. In which case this should be on the sort of advanced stage. It’s incredible. The characters are amazing, the cultures, Oh Em Gee. The world building is just amazing. Brandon Sanderson is incredible.

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
David Mitchell is a genius. This is his latest book and it is about these two immortal races that wage a sort of time war in the background of the world. And it’s about a young woman named Holly Sykes who is in the centre of this war. It’s incredible. It’s an amazing book. Mitchell writes sort of short stories and then strings them together into a novel. This book starts with Holly’s perspective, and then are told from the perspectives of people who are in Holly’s life. And it seems very normal, and then something weird happens at the end of every perspective, and then they just don’t mention it ever again. It’s good. It’s fun, and cool, and weird.

What if? By Randall Munroe
I’m a weird science enthusiast. By which I don’t mean I’m weird, I am, but I mean “weird science.” I like people who ask weird scientific questions and try to answer them. I especially like it when people who aren’t exactly moral do this. Because who needs ethics? This is based on hypothetical questions, and the answers aren’t really found through experiments, but through maths. It’s great. This is who I am. It’s written by a former NASA scientist, who now writes the webcomic XKCD. There he also answers weird science questions people send him. I listened to the audiobook, which is read by Wil Wheaton. I kind of want to read it too, because it has diagrams and stuff. It’s funny, it’s weird. People ask weird questions; like what would happen is there was suddenly a portal that sucked out all the water on earth? And his conclusion is essentially that Holland, no longer threatened by being drowned or washed away, will take over the world. Because of course. It’s great. I told a Dutch friend of mine about that, and she was not surprised. She just said; yeah, makes sense.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
This was my first Adichie book and it’s great. It’s an immigrant story. Ifemelu and Obinze are Nigerian teenagers in love. They plan to go off to America together, but Ifemelu gets a scholarship and a visa and goes before Obinze and they drift apart. It was an interesting look at race in America, and how different it is for blacks that are born in America, of black parents, as opposed to an African immigrant. They sort of experience their blackness, and racism differently. Since I’m not black, or an immigrant, or American, or indeed African, I don’t really have a first hand perspective on blacks in America, or immigration, but I found it fascinating. I love studying people, you’re learning a lot of weirdness about me, I studied anthropology, and I like seeing how people sort of interact and crash. Because Ifemelu is very different and has a different experience of blackness than black people in America she observes a lot about that. And I love that, because I’m weird. I should read more immigrant stories. Anyway.


So these are my top five favourite books so far this year. Hope you enjoyed this list. What are your favourites? What weird things do you like?