June wrap up

June is over. This is a look at what I wrote in June. I've split it into books and comics. Yeah. Go.


Books
Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
This is about the crew of a sort of smuggling pirate space ship. Which is awesome. I like pirates, and space. It’s about the captain, Darian Frey, who is extremely annoying for a lot of the book, but read my review if you want to know how much he bugged me. He gets a tip from an old buddy, to go after a huge loot on a ship called the Ace of Skulls, he can keep it all. When he shoots it to bring it down he hits something he’s not supposed to hit and the ship blows up and kills everyone on board. And the crew becomes public enemy number one and they have to run, and also try to find out what happened, and who set them up. I really liked it and I really want to read the rest of the series.

Burmese Days by George Orwell
So this is George Orwell’s fiction debut. He wrote one other book before this, but it was non-fiction. This is based on Orwell’s own life in Burma as a police officer. It basically looks at the corruption, imperialism and racism that permeated the English empire. The main character is John Flory, an English timber merchant, who is quite progressive, for his time. He is friends with a Burmese doctor, and tries to get him an introduction into the all white club he’s a member of. He’s sort of trapped by the racism of his peers and the massively corrupt Burmese magistrate plotting Flory’s friend’s downfall. It was pretty meh. The plot was pretty non-existent. The characters are just so racist and awful, which I know is the point, but they were awful beyond the point sort of. Flory was so self righteous and annoying. I could not understand what interest Flory could possibly have in Elizabeth and how he could be so wilfully blind about her. She was just awful. I didn’t enjoy it much. It… the writing is lovely, it’s Orwell, but it was just so meh.

The BFG by Roald Dahl
This was a favourite from my childhood. I really loved this when I was a kid, and it totally holds up. The jokes are hilarious. Roald Dahl was absolutely fantastic at writing for children. It was great. It’s about a girl named Sophie, she’s like… eight, and lives in an orphanage. One night she sees a giant on her street blow something into the house across the street, the giant hears her, kidnaps her and takes her to his cave. It turns out he blows dreams into children’s rooms. He is scared of the other giants, who eat humans. And with Sophie he decides to put a stop to the giants. There was quite a lot of philosophy in the book, which I didn’t remember, not surprising. I think I read it when I was eight. It’s funny. The giant’s way of speaking is really interesting and weird. It’s so great.

Innsirkling 2 by Carl Frode Tiller
So this took me for fucking ever to read. I don’t know why. Whenever I was reading it I thought it was great, then I put it down and let it lie for like a week, picked it up, loved it again. It’s so weird. Anyway. This is the second book in a trilogy. It’s about a man named David who has lost his memory (or has he?), and people write him letters to tell him about his life. In this one we hear the story of David through the memory of Ole, Tom Roger and Paula. Ole was sort of David’s stepbrother for a couple of years when they were kids. Tom Roger his friend and ally in crime when they were about 14-18. Paula was a friend of his mother, and a nurse working in the hospital when David was born. The stories are told by these people who aren’t necessarily life’s winners. And Carl Frode Tiller is very good at writing these people who aren’t great, and who I don’t like, and I sort of want to sympathize with anyway. He writes in different styles for every character, which is fascinating, and impressive. It’s so good.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
This is Truman Capote’s non-fiction masterpiece. It is about the murder of the Clutter family in Kansas in 1959. Two men, Dick and Perry, murder four members of the Clutter family, Mr and Mrs Clutter and their teenage children, Kenyon and Nancy, for an assumed fortune. They then run off to Mexico. Capote was really fascinated by the case, and went to Kansas to write the story. He didn’t publish it until 1966, I think because he waited until the killers were executed. It was truly fascinating. Capote was an amazing writer, and he makes you feel empathy with the killers, and obviously with the family. I listened to it on audiobook, and it was good. The guy who read it, Scott Brick, read it in this lazy Kansas accent, which I loved. He read it, this’ll sound weird, it was like he wasn’t reading, just telling the story, which I liked. Also, the last paragraph, I guess, was sort of heart breaking. It was so beautiful. The only complaint I have is that there are basically no chapters, and there aren’t like chapter breaks, which made it hard to pause it when I had to do something else. Other than that it was a great way to get the story. It was great.

The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker
This was lovely. It was very sweet, and a bit weird, but I found it interesting. That was a boring sentence. Anyway. This is about a golem, called Chava, who is made for a young Polish man, brought to life on her way over to New York, and then loses her master to a ruptured appendix. She is then left rudderless and alone and can feel everything everyone feels. She is alone in a city where she knows no one and she knows nothing about how to exist in the world. It’s also about a Djinni, called Ahmad, who comes out of a bottle in a tinsmith’s shop. He has been trapped for centuries, and he doesn’t remember why. They’re both sort of lost and alone and they strike up a weird friendship. I liked the non-human aspects, I like legends and folklore. It was a bit long, and full of a lot of back story and jeesh there was a lot of stuff, and at the same time I felt like she took some short cuts and just… I don’t know. It was sort of lush and gorgeous though.

Comics
Rat Queens, volume 2 by Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch and Stjepan Sejic
Agh. Rat Queens. They give me life. They’re so good. There’s a skygod called N’rygoth, who is creepy. There’s arguing and drinking. There’s some exciting backstories, like Dee and her priest-y husband, and Violet and her awesome rebellion, Violet and her creepy dad, and Betty is my favourite Halfling thief there ever was. They’re so layered, and so much more than just women who kick ass. They’re complex and fascinating, I love them.

Loki Agent of Asgard,volume 1 by Al EwingLee Garbett 
I saw this in my local comic shop and thought; yeah, I need that. I read it, and I liked the story, or stories, but I didn’t know enough backstory, so I didn’t necessarily understand what was going on. Like why and who, and how, and also huh? So therefore I decided to read some Thor, and then eventually some more Loki. I’ve looked up where I can start. And then sort of work my way back to this, or I guess forward to this. Anyways. I liked Loki, he’s sort of trying to be good, but he’s ambivalent, and still himself. The jokes are great. The Avengers make an appearance, and Clint’s little story is amazing. It’s not so much a story, as like four panels of him playing a gardening simulation and somehow being trapped by the National Guard. It’s so weird, and great. So I’m looking forward to finding out how Loki ended up where he is.

Thor (2007), vol. 1 by 

In my attempt to figure out how Loki ended up where he is I started reading Thor. Someone online said this might be a good place to start, although I am still missing a massive amount of backstory, but it’s okay… I think, because they do sort of play catch up and explain how they got to where they are. Basically Asgard has fallen/disappeared, Thor is in the void, and he’s called back by his alter ego Donald Blake, and he sort of reclaims Asgard, I guess, and frees the gods from their human hosts, and Loki has an evil plan, and he’s a fucking gorgeous chick, which, how did that happen? I need to figure that out, I guess. Also Thor is in some sort of spat with Iron Man, I’m not sure why, I’m guessing it has to do with something that happened while Thor was in the Void? Also, if you’re curious, if you Google Thor, the entire front page refers to the marvel character, not one reference to the actual god. So that’s interesting.


That's my June reading. On towards July.