Five book wrap up 2

This is my next wrap-up of the last five books I read. Enjoy. 

Great Speeches by African Americans edited by James Ryan Daley
I have no idea why I bought this, or when, or how. I just know it’s been on my Kindle forever. And I was sort of distracted and absent-minded and wanted to read everything and you know, I'm a mood reader for sure. I just thought, now is good. So I read it. I don’t know why I haven’t read it before. It’s essentially what it says on the tin. It’s great and famous speeches by African Americans. It includes the “I have a dream” speech, and “Ain’t I a Woman” by Soujourner Truth. It was so beautiful, and it was so heartbreaking. And it was so badass. So I loved that. It was very good.

The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris
This is the stories from Norse Mythology written from Loki’s perspective. I was very excited to read this, because I love Loki. I have always loved Loki, because I was a nerd in school, and I loved Norse Mythology. Also because I didn’t like the other parts of our religious studies class, because I found it boring, I was snooty. I loved Norse Mythology though. I feel like this book changed some things that made no sense, like Loki’s origin. And the book wasn’t original enough in other places. It was just a bit; and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened. And that annoyed me. It was however written in a very modern vernacular, which I appreciated. It wasn’t like Olde Fashioned English. It was modern, and I liked that. It just wasn’t interesting and funny enough.

The Supergirls by Mike Madrid
The Supergirls is a non-fiction book about female superheroes and how they are treated in comic books. It looks at how they are dressed, and how they evolved through time, and it is really fun. I am not very well versed in comic books and graphic novels. I’ve read some of the like big ones that are popular now, but I’m not big into superhero comics. I would, but I have no idea where to start. I’m off topic. Anyway. I really liked the idea of this book, and so I thought, yeah. It’s cool. It’s clearly written by a comic book fan, and he has been a fan of female comic book heroes and villains since he was a kid. It was fairly comprehensive as far as I can tell, and I want to look into some of the comic book heroines he talked about. So it was great.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
This is a classic that I’ve had on my shelves since forever. And also it’s a classic, so there we go. This is the classic novel about Dorian Gray, a young man who sells his soul to the devil to stay young and handsome forever. He’s a narcissistic hedonist who sits for a painting by an artist named Basil Hallward. He is given the painting, and it sits in his house and as Dorian doesn’t grow older, and isn’t affected by his hedonist, vain, narcissistic, cruel, immoral life, the painting changes, becomes old, cruel, and ugly. It’s great. Dorian is clearly an awful person, but it isn’t all his fault. He probably had the potential for being a cunt, and losing his soul didn’t help, but lord Henry Wotton clearly wasn’t a good influence on him. It’s… it’s very good. I kind of want to read it again, but I hate the edition I have, so I feel like that’s an excuse to buy a different edition. I’m clearly a child.

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Rampant is about a girl named Astrid Llewellyn who has grown up with her single mother filling her head with stories of murderous unicorns who eat people and are hunted by young virgin women. Astrid descends from this line of women, and she lives in a world where unicorns are extinct, until one attacks her boyfriend. Then she’s sent off to Rome to learn how to hunt unicorns. It was fun, it was interesting, it was cool to see a Young Adult book about something other than vampires, werewolves, etc. I did have some problems though. Astrid is raised by a very absent-minded, non-involved mother. Her mother doesn’t seem to care about Astrid’s actual life, just her potential life as a hunter. When Astrid says she’s scared, tired and feels alone, and wants to go home her mother doesn’t hear her, just says she’s probably not trying hard enough. She is basically living vicariously through Astrid, straight up tortures her, and sees her niece’s assault as a possibility for Astrid to shine. I also had big issues with the concept of virginity in the book, and how important it was, and I don’t think it was handled very well necessarily. So I wasn’t won over, and I think I got overly critical, but I will stand by it.